About First Responders Foundation
Police officers and firefighters put their lives on the line for us each and every day and face hardships that most of us will never have to know. They are the first people on the scene when an emergency strikes and willing to do whatever it takes to save and protect the people of our community.
We are the only foundation that focuses on all first responders and we partner directly with the region’s police and fire chiefs to serve and honor first responders and their families, build appreciation and respect for their work, and enhance public safety.
We accomplish our mission by:
- Recognizing and show support for first responders
- Creating and supporting unique programs and events designed to educate, inform and inspire
- Providing material and equipment donations to First Responders
- Supporting First Responders and their families in handling job-related stress, trauma , and unique health challenges.
- Partnering with fire departments to prevent in-home tragedies and keep children, families, and the elderly safe in their homes by installing home safety equipment such as carbon monoxide and smoke detectors and safety railings
- Honoring and supporting the officers and firefighters on four legs: the K-9 Unit, Alley the Arson Dog, and Mounted Patrol Unit.
- Recognizing and acknowledging the sons and daughters of First Responders with awards of excellence, citizen scholarships
- Organizing events that inspire the community
Won’t you join us in our mission?
About First Responders Foundation History & Vision
The First Responders Foundation has grown into the area’s premier nonprofit in supporting First Responders. We focus efforts on fundraising, programming, and events that support our mission to serve and honor first responders and their families, build appreciation and respect for their work, and enhance public safety.
The First Responders Foundation is rooted in 9/11 remembrance, and was conceived during a discussion between founders Ray Somberg and Jerry Hoberman in 2008 when they reflected on how First Responders are often taken for granted until tragedy strikes. They decided to create a nonprofit organization centered around police and firefighter appreciation and support.
Our vision for 2020 is to be the recognized service organization leading advocacy and community support for all First Responders and their families; be a foundation critical to the maintenance and enhancement of public safety in the Greater Omaha Area; and be an essential organization in the realization of Omaha’s 2040 strategy of “People, Place, Prosperity.” By 2025 we will expand this support and advocacy within our region.
The First Responders Foundation is a licensed 501(c)3 tax exempt social impact organization, tax I.D. number 26-3499345.