Thank you to ALL who donated to the First Responders Foundation during Omaha Gives! on May 22, 2019! We appreciate your generosity. It is only because of generous donors like you that we are able to provide many programs and services to those in the community who give to all of us in our time of need. First Responders Foundation received over $3500 in donations!
What is Omaha Gives!? It is a one-day online fundraising event organized by the Omaha Community Foundation to raise awareness and support for social impact organizations. It is a community-wide event to show off the area’s spirit of giving, raise awareness about local nonprofits, and celebrate the collective effort it takes to make this community great. Since 2013, this community give-together has raised over $49 million for more than 1,000 nonprofits.
Our mission is to serve and honor all our first responders and their families, build appreciation and respect for their work, and enhance public safety. Police officers and firefighters put their lives on the line for us each and every day and face hardships that most of us will never have to know. They are the first people on the scene when an emergency strikes and are willing to do whatever it takes to save and protect the people of our community. We are here to support them.
We accomplish our mission by:
• Supporting First Responders and their families in handling job-related stress, trauma and unique health challenges through our FRST program (First Responders Support Team). Offers monthly Peer Support Meetings and Other Therapy Sessions, Stronger Together Workshops for First Responders and Significant Others, Critical Incident Stress Mgt. & Post-Trauma Retreats.
• Partnering with the Omaha Fire Department to prevent in-home tragedies and keep children, families, and the elderly safe in their homes by installing free home safety equipment including carbon monoxide and smoke detectors, and safety railings.
• Supporting the officers and firefighters on four legs: the K-9 Unit, Alley the Arson Dog, Mounted Patrol, and JAVELAN (provides service dogs for first responders and veterans).
• Awards Of Excellence, recognizing outstanding children of First Responders with scholarships.
• Providing material and equipment donations to First Responders above and beyond what is provided by their departments.
• Organizing events that inspire the community such as the annual Guns N Hoses Boxing Challenge where local fire fighters and police officers duke it out in the ring to raise awareness and funds.
• Community Safety Program. Educating OPS students on fire safety and prevention and emergency preparedness.
• Tri-County Fire Corps Exploring Program. Teaches students fire safety and first aid, introduces them to fire fighting careers and volunteer opportunities, and builds their confidence and leadership skills.
•Action Day. Partnering with OPD annually, kids get to experience some of what happens in the lives of police and firefighters. From SWAT demonstrations to finger printing and fire trucks to the bomb robot, kids get in on all in action. Scouts can earn their Crime Prevention Badges.
•PACE Program (Police Athletics for Community Engagement). Gives low-income, at-risk children the opportunity to be influenced by police officers in a positive way through youth athletics.
• Each year we begin new programs assisting first responders and our goal is to expand FRF chapters and affiliates across Nebraska.